Skip to main content

My Favorite Way to Set Goals

Yes. I am going to talk about goals and setting goals. Wait....January is over, done, ended! Exactly. Which means most of our new years resolutions have ended too! I find it really hard to set goals sometimes...especially as a mom.

For example let's talk fitness. I like to work out for the most part but sometimes it seems pointless when I know I am going to gain 30 pounds! Yes, I am 26 weeks pregnant, due in June :) That extra weight brings some serious exhaustion when I am trying to do any form of exercise! And I wont bring up how running and jumping makes me feel...or what I feel like I lose control of.  Then after the baby is born you have to start all over knowing that this isn't the last time you will have to start all over.  This may sound like an exaggeration....but my brain likes to exaggerate to myself sometimes.

The same thing happened with this blog. I was really excited when I started it and had goals to write in it and help other homemakers feel inspired, loved, and positive with themselves. Then I lost the excitement and drive and didn't post for a while. It could also partly be that I was in my first trimester and didn't have as much drive and pep to accomplish anything. Does this happen to anyone else??

Well! I have learned and applied a few things lately that have helped me LOVE to set goals....and even actually accomplish them-yay!  



This is my Vision Board. It is the tool I use to set and achieve my goals. The main reasons I love using this are because #1 I have to figure out what I want. #2 It helps me make my goals attainable. #3 It helps me remember and stay excited about my goals. #4 It helps me feel rewarded when I accomplish my goal. Let me go into detail with each of these reasons to explain how my vision board works so you can try it too!


#1 I have to figure out what I want

I actually really struggle with knowing what I want and what I want to accomplish for me. I know I want to be a good wife and a good mom...but sometimes beyond that I don't know how I want to develop my personal talents or increase my education and things like that. When I don't know what I even want to accomplish with my amazing life I have been given, I feel like I have no direction or vision. With my vision board I have to figure out what I want because each goal is represented by a picture. It's pretty awesome! 

#2 It helps me make my goals attainable

One of my goals is to drink more water. "Drink more water" is a great goal but just leaving it at that is not attainable. So, I found my picture of the glasses of water (top right-hand corner) and put a little note on there that says "64 oz 7/7 days in a week" Now my goal is attainable. Sometimes I put dates on my pictures so I remember when I made the goal and I will also write a deadline on my picture. 

Some of my other goals are to read 3 books in March (top left-hand corner), go on a hike, and learn a new aria.

Note: if you don't end up accomplishing all your goals by your deadline its okay!!! Keep working on them. The whole point is progress. For example, I might not finish three books by then end of the month, BUT I am reading. More importantly, I'm enjoying my reading time. Same with my water goal. I'm realizing this might be the hardest goal on there for me haha! It's okay though because I am drinking more water and if I am late in achieving my goal then it's okay. This whole thing is about doing things you want to do and making progress. Practice makes progress! End note :) 

#3 It helps me remember my goals and stay excited about them

Do you ever think of a goal and write it down only to lose the paper and forget what your goal was? I do!! The vision board solves this problem. Here's how. I keep my vision board in my room close to my bed. I look at it every morning and night. It's a great reminder every day what things I am working on. 

When I make my vision board I like to find really cool pictures and make it fun! Colors and pretty pictures give it a fun vibe and help energize me to get excited about what I'm doing in life. I also love to put quotes up. The vision board can be a great tool to "ponderize" cool quotes or scriptures. My vision board also isn't just straight up goals. I love to put items up that I want to purchase or and am saving money for. Planning a family trip or a getaway with your spouse is another great item to put on your vision board. The heart picture you see on my vision board represented the date I planned for me and Chad last Valentine's day. That photo of my vision board was taken last month and since then I have been able to take the heart down because I accomplished that goal.

#4 It makes me feel rewarded when I accomplish my goal

When I accomplish a goal from my vision board, I get to take the picture off.  It's kind of like one of those charts children have when they are good and they get to put a sticker on it our something...it's awesome! I like to take the picture and tape it in my journal and write about how I accomplished my goal. 

One cool story I have about getting something off my vision board is how I got my rocking chair. Around the time I had Oaklee I really wanted a rocking chair so I put a picture of one on my vision board. I would look around on the internet for used ones often, but never saw anything that I wanted and I didn't want to fork out 200 bucks for a new one. One magical day in February last year the weather was super awesome so I decided to take Oaklee on a walk. I really felt like I should go to the DI so we did. As we walked through the store I spotted it....my rocking chair for $45!!! I was so stoked and bought it right away. It seriously felt like it was there for me. I live in baby town Provo where the DI is often very picked over so to find a rocking chair in such good condition was a miracle! It was also cool because the rocking chair is navy blue like my couch and oh so cozy. I love it! I took this photo right around the time I bought the chair. We love rocking our baby in it!






Other tips
Don't get overwhelmed with too many goals. 9 goals is the max. Also, like I mentioned before if you don't accomplish a goal within a deadline you put it's okay! Look at your progress, that's what it's all about. It is also okay to change a goal to make it more attainable. I might be changing my water goal to drinking 64 oz 3 days in a row and eventually work up to 7 because I am really struggling with that one!! Remember this is all about making progress and should be fun!! 

Be you-tiful,

Cheryl






  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God told me No

I am a singer. My grandma was a coloratura soprano and that’s what I classify my voice as too. Very recently I was working on singing in a concert with a tenor who graduated from Juilliard. I was going to perform 2 arias. An aria is basically a fancy word for a solo song in an opera. I was going to perform “Bell Song” from Lakme and the “Queen of the Night” aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart. Both arias are extremely difficult and only a very skilled coloratura can sing it well.  My voice teacher who I have taken from for years was preparing me for the concert. She is my mentor and has always told me that I could have an opera career if I wanted. That is what all of my teachers have told me. But I decided to choose a different life! I have two beautiful girls and a rock star husband. My biggest dream in life was to be a homemaker!!! That is what I am and I absolutely adore my “job” as a mom! My second daughter, Gracie, is only 9 months old. I didn’t realize it at the time but right af

The Greatest Force in the World

A few days ago, I pulled my baby in my bed after she woke up from her nap and laid down with her. We had a rare moment where we were both still together. Usually when Oaklee lays down with me, she digs her fingers into my mouth or nose and pulls my hair. This time she put her hand softly on my face and for a little moment we looked into each others eyes. I could feel her sweet, pure spirit and this quote came into my mind.  "When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother's heart, and she puts it in the baby's mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."                                               

Current Bio

Cheryl Fowers is a graduate from Weber State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Music. During her college career, Cheryl had the great honor to play the prestigious role as Queen of the Night in Mozart’s Magic Flute. As a junior, Cheryl performed for concerto night with her sister Olivia singing The Flower Duet from Lakme. As a senior, Cheryl was the recipient of the esteemed Craig Jessop Scholarship. Towards the end of her college career, Cheryl was again chosen to perform as a concerto night soloist where she performed Bell Song from Lakme. Around that same time she was excited to find out that she was also expecting her first child. Soon after she graduated, Cheryl and her husband Chad welcomed their first baby girl in the fall of 2015. Cheryl and Chad welcomed another baby girl into their family in the summer of 2017. Cheryl loves being a mom and considers it her greatest and most fulfilling “role.” Apart from being a mother of two busy little girls, Cheryl owns and oper