Skip to main content

When God told me No



I am a singer. My grandma was a coloratura soprano and that’s what I classify my voice as too. Very recently I was working on singing in a concert with a tenor who graduated from Juilliard. I was going to perform 2 arias. An aria is basically a fancy word for a solo song in an opera. I was going to perform “Bell Song” from Lakme and the “Queen of the Night” aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart. Both arias are extremely difficult and only a very skilled coloratura can sing it well. 

My voice teacher who I have taken from for years was preparing me for the concert. She is my mentor and has always told me that I could have an opera career if I wanted. That is what all of my teachers have told me. But I decided to choose a different life! I have two beautiful girls and a rock star husband. My biggest dream in life was to be a homemaker!!! That is what I am and I absolutely adore my “job” as a mom!

My second daughter, Gracie, is only 9 months old. I didn’t realize it at the time but right after she was born I went through some pretty intense postpartum depression and anxiety. Basically I had too much on my plate between preparing for my concert, moving, going through my husbands job changes, adjusting to being a mom of two girls just 19 months apart, getting a new church calling that had nothing to do with music or taking care of children.....etc! I was praying so hard to have help. I was getting hardly any sleep and I was thinner than ever. I didn’t realize that I was unhealthy and that I needed to ask for help.

One day my brain finally decided that it had had enough. I started having hallucinations and I had to be taken to the hospital. I was there for a week and it felt like heck! It was the hardest week of my life and even harder for my husband and my mom who was so worried!! 

I won’t go into to much detail but basically I now just have major insomnia and as long as I get enough sleep my body is fine. 

I am grateful that God told me no. I was beyond excited for the opportunity to perform, but I choose health and family first. Being in the hospital gave me an incredible outlook on life! Every day that I am healthy and with my family is the best day ever!!!!! I hope that the things I’ve shared can help someone. I believe we go through trials to learn and to help others.  Everyone has trials! Some trials are loud and easy to see. Some trials like the ones I talked about in this blog are sneaky and quiet. I think the most important thing is is to choose love over judgement and try to walk in another persons shoes. The Book of Mormon says that Charity never faileth! 

In this young mamma season that I’m in, I may have to only perform in church. At least I have two beautiful girls to sing too every day!  I am also grateful to have 15 incredible voice students that I get to teach every week! I run my own vocal studio called Cheryl Fowers’ Flowers and Gents. I’m so not posting this to make money (my vocal studio is full!) I just want to share because sometimes your mess is your message! I am often a hot mess but I’m a “beautiful mess.” I guess when it comes down to it my hope is that you learn to be kind to yourself! We are all children of God! 

Be You-tiful,

Cheryl

 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful message! Thank you for sharing. "No" has been the hardest part of being a new mom but I just try to remember this was my choice and my new calling. You're such a strong person and I enjoy reading your blog. You're able to put into words how I'm feeling as a mom too. It's always nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I love your posts and your twins are so cute! Thanks for being such a great example!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl this is wonderful. I think it's brave to share this experience, but even more than that, it's important for us to hear! Sometimes I think we all need to focus a little of our efforts to our personal time and health, and let others bear us up for a minute. I mean, that's the message of the atonement, right?

    We all need each other to make it through this life. I often wonder if that's why the Prophets of our time have emphasized the family so much. Love you Cher-bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat! I totally agree. As a mom it’s hard to remember that you have to be strong if you want your kids to be strong! I love you!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Greatest Force in the World

A few days ago, I pulled my baby in my bed after she woke up from her nap and laid down with her. We had a rare moment where we were both still together. Usually when Oaklee lays down with me, she digs her fingers into my mouth or nose and pulls my hair. This time she put her hand softly on my face and for a little moment we looked into each others eyes. I could feel her sweet, pure spirit and this quote came into my mind.  "When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother's heart, and she puts it in the baby's mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."                                               

Current Bio

Cheryl Fowers is a graduate from Weber State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Music. During her college career, Cheryl had the great honor to play the prestigious role as Queen of the Night in Mozart’s Magic Flute. As a junior, Cheryl performed for concerto night with her sister Olivia singing The Flower Duet from Lakme. As a senior, Cheryl was the recipient of the esteemed Craig Jessop Scholarship. Towards the end of her college career, Cheryl was again chosen to perform as a concerto night soloist where she performed Bell Song from Lakme. Around that same time she was excited to find out that she was also expecting her first child. Soon after she graduated, Cheryl and her husband Chad welcomed their first baby girl in the fall of 2015. Cheryl and Chad welcomed another baby girl into their family in the summer of 2017. Cheryl loves being a mom and considers it her greatest and most fulfilling “role.” Apart from being a mother of two busy little girls, Cheryl owns and oper