Skip to main content

Attitude of Gratitude: Journaling

I am a total nerd when it comes to the Holiday Season. One of my favorite days of the year is the day after Halloween, November 1st! Even as a kid I remember being so excited that Halloween ended because it meant that Thanksgiving and Christmas were just around the corner. There is seriously an awesome feeling that fills the air on November 1st. I also start listening to Christmas music right away because it puts me into that special holiday mood. The end of Halloween also has a new exciting feeling because my baby's birthday is during the first week of November and we just celebrated her first birthday!! My heart is so full of love for that girl.

I love celebrating gratitude during November. It is such a great reminder to have a grateful heart. I believe that if I could always have gratitude in my heart then I  would always be a happy person. An attitude of gratitude can change the way you look at everything in life. I feel like it's such a simple thing that it can be hard to do at times.  I know that I have had moments where I feel stuck in a negative mindset and forget to recognize all of the blessings I have surrounding me. So this month I am on a search to find little tricks I can do to keep my mind and heart full of gratitude. My goal is to continue to create a pattern for myself so that I am practicing my attitude of gratitude every day, even after November.

First, I want to mention declarations again. I feel like when I'm trying to work on a new attribute, I forget that I'm working on it. So I love declarations because when I say them morning and evening, I remember that those are the things that I'm working on becoming. I can also call on those throughout the day. When I feel my mood turning negative or want to complain, I can repeat that declaration in my mind. I'm just telling myself the kid of person I want to be. Declarations are the first step I take in changing my mindset and working on a characteristic trait that I want because I have found them to be incredibly effective in my life.  If declarations aren't your thing then you can also "ponderize" a scripture or quote that you like about gratitude. Just read or say it out loud often. Here are some ideas of declarations you could use for gratitude.

"I live a full, rich and abundant life"
"I am grateful in every situation I find myself in"
"I am a great giver and an excellent receiver"
"I am surrounded by blessings and tender mercies from my Heavenly Father"


This is a picture of my current journal which leads me to my second trick, keeping a gratitude journal.  My goal is to do this every night but I have missed a couple of nights here and there. When I do write in my gratitude journal, I can feel the power of doing this! Every night write down at least three things you are grateful for that day. Sometimes what happens is I end up making my list longer than just three things! As I start to recognize what happy things happened during my day, the flow gets going and I'm able to list a lot of things I'm grateful for that day. When I'm in the moment of my day I don't realize how special each day is. Then at night when I reflect upon my day, I realize it has been full of blessings. Here are some things I wrote last night in my journal just to give an example.
  • Oaklee and I went for a walk. I'm so grateful for outside and beautiful trees with fall leaves.
  •  I'm grateful for children's books. Oaklee was laughing at her pop up book today. So cute
  • Chad and I are such good friends
It's very simple, but makes a huge difference. I go to bed happy and thankful for that day. I like to try to not repeat things I have already said I'm grateful for. This helps me to recognize how many different blessings I have and that each day is full of new blessings that I might not have recognized before.   

Go try it! For the next week write down at least 3 things you are grateful for every day. If you try it I would love to hear about how it has helped you in your life! I would love to hear how you keep an attitude of gratitude! If you have any tricks you like to do, feel free to leave me a comment below.

Be you-tiful,

Cheryl 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God told me No

I am a singer. My grandma was a coloratura soprano and that’s what I classify my voice as too. Very recently I was working on singing in a concert with a tenor who graduated from Juilliard. I was going to perform 2 arias. An aria is basically a fancy word for a solo song in an opera. I was going to perform “Bell Song” from Lakme and the “Queen of the Night” aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart. Both arias are extremely difficult and only a very skilled coloratura can sing it well.  My voice teacher who I have taken from for years was preparing me for the concert. She is my mentor and has always told me that I could have an opera career if I wanted. That is what all of my teachers have told me. But I decided to choose a different life! I have two beautiful girls and a rock star husband. My biggest dream in life was to be a homemaker!!! That is what I am and I absolutely adore my “job” as a mom! My second daughter, Gracie, is only 9 months old. I didn’t realize it at the time but right af

The Greatest Force in the World

A few days ago, I pulled my baby in my bed after she woke up from her nap and laid down with her. We had a rare moment where we were both still together. Usually when Oaklee lays down with me, she digs her fingers into my mouth or nose and pulls my hair. This time she put her hand softly on my face and for a little moment we looked into each others eyes. I could feel her sweet, pure spirit and this quote came into my mind.  "When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother's heart, and she puts it in the baby's mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."                                               

Current Bio

Cheryl Fowers is a graduate from Weber State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Music. During her college career, Cheryl had the great honor to play the prestigious role as Queen of the Night in Mozart’s Magic Flute. As a junior, Cheryl performed for concerto night with her sister Olivia singing The Flower Duet from Lakme. As a senior, Cheryl was the recipient of the esteemed Craig Jessop Scholarship. Towards the end of her college career, Cheryl was again chosen to perform as a concerto night soloist where she performed Bell Song from Lakme. Around that same time she was excited to find out that she was also expecting her first child. Soon after she graduated, Cheryl and her husband Chad welcomed their first baby girl in the fall of 2015. Cheryl and Chad welcomed another baby girl into their family in the summer of 2017. Cheryl loves being a mom and considers it her greatest and most fulfilling “role.” Apart from being a mother of two busy little girls, Cheryl owns and oper