Skip to main content

A Homemaker's Declarations



I want to share something simple I've been doing that has made a huge difference in my life! I learned a technique a while back to help me stay in charge of my thoughts, emotions and actions. I feel more able to change and become a better mom, wife and all around person. I feel less reactive to challenges that happen around me and more able to overcome them. Almost every morning and evening...I'm practicing and sometimes forget...I say declarations. 

A declaration is a positive "I am'" power statement. I know it sound a little weird to say positive I am statements about yourself, but what i have realized is that growing up there were declarations all around me. I was taught from a young age that I am a child of God. Knowing all my life that I have a loving Heavenly Father has given me great power all throughout my life and a knowledge of my identity. It has directed me in the way I think and act. That is the power that a declarations can have. 

Here are my current declarations I created. 



I have three different ways of creating declarations. The first is easy. If I hear something I like, I use it like my I am a daughter of God declaration. The second way is I think of something I want to be better at or become and I make a declaration for it. An example of this method is my declaration about meal planning and cooking. Sometimes I really don't want to figure out what to make for dinner!! I feel it's important and I want to enjoy it so I'm telling my brain that I do. The third way to create declarations is to write down something negative and flip it to something positive. My declaration about being outgoing is a good example of the third way. I am more of a shy and quiet person and that is something I want to improve on as well. The third method is a good way to make declarations because sadly it is easier to come up with negative things about ourselves than it is to think of positive things.  That is another purpose of declarations. It is to start training your brain to be positive with yourself. I believe the best way to nurture self and others is through love.

Here is my little story about how declarations have helped me. It all started when I become a mom. Becoming a mom takes a lot of adjusting. Once Oaklee was born my life was turned upside down and all around. Words can't describe how much love and joy little babies bring, but they are also physically and emotionally draining. 

I think around four or five months after Oaklee was born, I realized how low my energy was. I had no motivation to accomplish the things I wanted to so what did I do? I turned on the tv to watch a show. Then one show always multiplied into many shows and before I knew it I had been watching TV for hours! This made me feel lazy and unaccomplished. I was also very moody and not too happy during this time. Then one evening my husband Chad and I listened to a motivational conference call that our neighbor and friend was giving. He talked about declarations. I had already learned about declarations a while back but never really did them. After our friends presentation I decided to try it. Within the next couple of days I wrote out my declarations and started to say them morning and evening.

My life started to change once I did this. When I felt myself feeling unmotivated about cleaning or cooking or whatever I needed to do, I would tell myself "I have an abundance of energy and am highly motivated!" When I felt like I didn't know how to be a mom I would think "I am great at listening to the Holy Ghost which guides me on how to be an amazing mom." What happened was I changed my attitude about life. I started telling myself that I am energetic and motivated and I really started to become that. It took some time but now the day will end and I'll realize that I didn't even think about turning on the tv. When Oaklee is napping my "me time" is no longer watching tv. Instead I like to work on projects, listen to good books, or practice singing (except lately that wakes Oaklee up). I never had enough energy to do any of those things before. I just wanted to collapse on the couch and watch something...all. day. long.  I still love a show every now and then. I just don't let it control me anymore. I feel better about myself and I am more able to accomplish my goals. 

So that is my story! I love declarations. If it feels silly to say something positive about yourself, just remember that you are of infinite worth. You have amazing talents and abilities that you can nurture and develop. You have the power to change from the inside out. You are a daughter of God!

Be You-tiful,

Cheryl

 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When God told me No

I am a singer. My grandma was a coloratura soprano and that’s what I classify my voice as too. Very recently I was working on singing in a concert with a tenor who graduated from Juilliard. I was going to perform 2 arias. An aria is basically a fancy word for a solo song in an opera. I was going to perform “Bell Song” from Lakme and the “Queen of the Night” aria from the Magic Flute by Mozart. Both arias are extremely difficult and only a very skilled coloratura can sing it well.  My voice teacher who I have taken from for years was preparing me for the concert. She is my mentor and has always told me that I could have an opera career if I wanted. That is what all of my teachers have told me. But I decided to choose a different life! I have two beautiful girls and a rock star husband. My biggest dream in life was to be a homemaker!!! That is what I am and I absolutely adore my “job” as a mom! My second daughter, Gracie, is only 9 months old. I didn’t realize it at the time but right af

The Greatest Force in the World

A few days ago, I pulled my baby in my bed after she woke up from her nap and laid down with her. We had a rare moment where we were both still together. Usually when Oaklee lays down with me, she digs her fingers into my mouth or nose and pulls my hair. This time she put her hand softly on my face and for a little moment we looked into each others eyes. I could feel her sweet, pure spirit and this quote came into my mind.  "When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn't stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother's heart, and she puts it in the baby's mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."                                               

Current Bio

Cheryl Fowers is a graduate from Weber State University with a Bachelor of Arts in Music. During her college career, Cheryl had the great honor to play the prestigious role as Queen of the Night in Mozart’s Magic Flute. As a junior, Cheryl performed for concerto night with her sister Olivia singing The Flower Duet from Lakme. As a senior, Cheryl was the recipient of the esteemed Craig Jessop Scholarship. Towards the end of her college career, Cheryl was again chosen to perform as a concerto night soloist where she performed Bell Song from Lakme. Around that same time she was excited to find out that she was also expecting her first child. Soon after she graduated, Cheryl and her husband Chad welcomed their first baby girl in the fall of 2015. Cheryl and Chad welcomed another baby girl into their family in the summer of 2017. Cheryl loves being a mom and considers it her greatest and most fulfilling “role.” Apart from being a mother of two busy little girls, Cheryl owns and oper